Colorectal surgery is a surgical specialty focused on treating disorders of the small intestine, colon, rectum and anus. The talented team of experienced surgeons, often use a minimally invasive approach including advanced robotic and laparoscopic procedures. In particular, for rectal cancer and inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, your surgeon can perform sphincter-sparing surgery that preserves the sphincter muscle while removing the cancer or diseased intestine. This not only prevents the need for permanent stomas but also lowers the risk of leaving cancer or diseased cells behind.
- The highly trained surgeons on the medical staff also offer robotic or laparoscopic transanal procedures to remove anorectal polyps, anal cancer and rectal cancer, preventing more invasive abdominal surgery.
- We also treat diseases of the appendix including tumors and cancer.
- Our team includes of PAs and NPs dedicated to complete patient care in the inpatient and outpatient setting, and a full time ostomy nurse to help patients with ostomy needs at home and in the hospital.
- Vassar Brothers Medical Center has been designated by US News and World Report as one of the nation’s highest performing hospitals for colon cancer surgery for three years running, 2018-2019, 2019 -2020, and 2020-2021.
Why Choose Us?
- The team at Vassar Brothers Medical Center and Northern Dutchess Hospitals provide a patient-centered approach that is empowering, compassionate and evolving with new medical advances
- Whether you are at the beginning of a journey with bowel cancer or have advanced conditions of the colon, rectum and anus, you are in the hands of highly qualified specialist surgeons
- For colorectal cancer, the goal is removal of the cancer without lasting effects on continence and sexual ability. The surgeons on the medical staff provide advanced laparoscopic or da Vinci® robotic surgical system procedures that are minimally invasive and avoid damaging critical muscles and nerves
- Vassar Brothers Medical Center has been designated by US News and World Report for three years running, 2018-2019, 2019 -2020, and 2020-2021, as one of the nation’s highest performing hospitals for colon cancer surgery
Conditions We Treat
Our team specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of many conditions including:
Treatments and Technology
Depending on your condition and its degree of complication, you and your surgeon will discuss the best treatment methods which are frequently minimally invasive and use the most advanced technology and latest techniques.
- Advanced laparoscopic or robotic surgery in areas affecting nerves that control sexual and defecatory function. Small incisions are more precise and enable successful surgery without damaging these critical nerves and minimizing bleeding.
- Anal fistulas, anal fissures and perirectal abscesses treatment
- Complex diverticular disease treatment including those with abscesses, obstructions, bleeding, colovesical and colovaginal fistulas
- Hemorrhoid treatment, including the THD America procedure. THD America is offered as a minimally invasive outpatient procedure to reduce postoperative pain.
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Parastomal hernia repair and stoma reversal
- Rectal prolapse, rectocele or enterocele requiring pelvic surgery
- Sphincter-preserving removal of colorectal polyps, irritable bowel disease (IBD) and cancer. For many patients, our surgeons can avoid the need for permanent stomas because of sphincter-sparing procedures.
- Transanal removal of anorectal polyps and/or cancer. Using the da Vinci® surgical system or another laparoscopic approach allows patients to avoid more serious abdominal surgery.
- Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease treatments include procedures to alleviate disease complications while helping you achieve the best quality of life.