It’s a relief to know that excellent surgical care is available close to home. The skilled surgeons on the medical staff of Vassar Brothers Medical Center, Putnam Hospital, Northern Dutchess Hospital and Sharon Hospital have access to leading minimally invasive and robotic surgical technology. The surgical care teams provide a warm and welcoming environment along with comprehensive support for you and your family before, during and after your procedure.
Surgery at Nuvance Health
When you or a loved one needs surgery, the hospitals and surgeons that are part of Nuvance Health provides the latest surgical options. The da Vinci® surgical system, available at Vassar Brothers Medical Center, Putnam Hospital and Northern Dutchess Hospital, offers greater precision, less pain and quicker recovery. Surgeons on the medical staff of our hospitals have extensive experience with this technique, as well as with laparoscopy and open surgery.
The surgical teams at Nuvance Health have intensive training and experience to provide surgical solutions to a wide variety of conditions including:
- Acute care for appendicitis, gallbladder disease, hernias and cysts
- Dermatologic conditions and skin cancers
- Disorders of the abdomen and gastrointestinal tract including liver and pancreas
- Bariatric and metabolic surgery
- Surgery for benign and malignant diseases including breast cancer, colorectal diseases and surgical oncology
- Treatment for endocrine disease including thyroid, adrenal and soft tissue disorders
- Women’s health conditions including breast surgery and gynecological oncology
The team’s use of the latest minimally invasive techniques, including the robotic da Vinci® surgical system and laparoscopy, allows most patients to return to full activity sooner. Throughout the process, from diagnosis to postoperative care, we are committed to providing you with the information you need to actively participate in your own care.
The benefits of state-of-the-art robotic surgery
Renowned for its precision, the da Vinci® surgical system permits smaller incisions for greater precision and control while giving your surgeon an excellent field of vision with a 3D magnified camera.
The da Vinci® surgical system has been used to perform more than six million surgeries globally, and it is proven effective for use in a wide variety of procedures, including:
- Colorectal surgery to treat colorectal cancers, early rectal tumors, pelvic dysfunction, rectal prolapse, rectocele, diverticulitis, advanced polyps and inflammatory bowel diseases
- Bariatric surgery including sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass
- Oncology surgery to treat liver, pancreas and other intra-abdominal cancers
- Complex hernia surgery for antireflux, paraesophageal hernia, hiatal hernia, diaphragmatic hernia, and ventral, inguinal and incisional hernias
- General surgery to treat appendicitis, gallbladder disease, gastrointestinal tumors and performing outpatient cholecystectomies
- Gynecologic surgery to treat ovarian masses, cancer and disease of the uterus
- Lung/thoracic surgery for resection of benign and malignant lung tumors
- Single-incision surgery
- Urologic surgery, such as prostatectomy
How it works
Though the system is often called a robot, the da Vinci® cannot move or operate on its own; your surgeon is always in control. First, your surgeon will make small incisions where cameras and surgical instruments are inserted. Utilizing the da Vinci® console to manipulate the instruments, your surgeon is able to view the surgical site via a highly magnified 3D image.
Typically, da Vinci® surgical procedures result in:
- Less scarring
- Reduced pain
- Fewer complications
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery