If you’ve been diagnosed with prostate cancer and radiation therapy is part of your treatment, you should know about important technology available close to home in the Hudson Valley that can dramatically reduce your treatment time to just 5 days or less.
Accelerated hypofractionated radiation therapy safely delivers higher doses of radiation during each treatment session. As a result, you can complete treatment in 5 or fewer daily sessions—compared to 25 to 45 sessions over 5 to 9 weeks with conventional radiation therapy.
This precise technology is available, for patients who meet criteria, at several locations throughout Health Quest, part of Nuvance Health.
The Benefits of Hypofractionated Radiation Therapy
- It’s safe and effective—Research shows that accelerated hypofractionated radiation therapy delivers outcomes that are just as good—or better—than conventional radiation therapy
- It’s more convenient—Because you can complete a full course of treatment in just 5 treatment sessions, you can take less time off from work, recover faster, and get back to your regular life sooner
- There are fewer side effects—For example, men with prostate cancer experience a much lower risk of urinary incontinence and impotence compared with surgery
Who’s a candidate for accelerated hypofractionated radiation therapy?
A growing number of patients with prostate cancer are being treated with accelerated hypofractionated radiation therapy. In fact, it’s now considered a standard of care for treating appropriately selected patients with these types of cancer.
Your doctor will consult with you to determine if you are a candidate.
What Can You Expect?
- The radiation beams precisely target the prostate cancer and spare nearby healthy tissue to reduce the risk of side effects such as urinary incontinence and impotence.
- The cancer team at Nuvance Health uses a biodegradable rectal spacer with this radiation technique to protect healthy tissue and preserve a patient’s bowel, urinary, and sexual function.
- You can complete treatment in 5 or fewer daily sessions.
- Less time away from your daily activities and work than with conventional radiation therapy.