Breathing is something that most of us take for granted, until a lung or respiratory condition impairs our ability to breathe easily. That’s when you need a Health Quest Medical Practice pulmonologist.
HQMP pulmonologists are physicians who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the lungs. Depending on your condition, they may work collaboratively with Health Quest Medical Practice cardiovascular doctors, oncologists and our dedicated pulmonary rehabilitation team to help you achieve maximum recovery and comfort.
Pulmonary medicine focuses on helping people with breathing challenges related to the respiratory system, the lungs and bronchial tubes. In addition, if you have lung injuries or a sleep disorder, our pulmonary team will help you through an acute stage and stay involved through pulmonary rehabilitation. Pulmonary rehab gradually and gently helps your restore function and improves your daily life while living with diseases such as COPD, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, asthma and more. It is our aim to prevent hospital stays and offer you tools and exercise to feel well and stay well.
Conditions We Treat
Testing and Diagnostics
- Pulmonary function testing: Pulmonary function tests help physicians determine the best way to treat your respiratory problems. During the tests, you will be asked to breathe in different ways.
Testing can include:
- A spirometry test that measures how well air moves in and out of your lungs. During the test, you may be given an aerosol treatment to open the airways in your lungs. Then you will be asked to repeat the test. From this procedure, your doctor will learn how your lungs react to medication.
- A plethysmography test that determines your lung volume and if you have problems getting air out of your lungs.
- A diffusion study to measure your lungs’ ability to get oxygen into your bloodstream. This may also include an arterial blood test.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: To reduce your risk of a serious cardiac event, our outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation program shows you how to manage – and improve – your breathing through a combination of rehabilitation, prevention and education.Your rehab team will develop a personalized exercise program based on your ability and health needs and monitor your progress. They will teach you how to conserve and use energy smartly while performing activities of daily living.
The program also includes informative sessions on nutrition, exercise guidelines, stress and medication management and the proper use of respiratory equipment. The goal is to improve your overall health, decrease hospital admissions and help you enjoy life.Pulmonary rehab will benefit you if you have experienced COPD, asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis or a lung transplant.
Treatments and Procedures
Procedures offered by our pulmonologists include: