If you struggle with obesity, you are not alone. Obesity is a chronic disease and can be challenging to overcome alone. Bariatric (or weight loss) surgery is a treatment option for those who have not found long-term success with other weight loss attempts. The team at Northern Dutchess Hospital (NDH) offers surgical options to help you achieve lasting weight loss and the healthy life you desire.
Bariatric surgery reduces the stomach’s storage area for food. After bariatric surgery, your stomach will feel full with less food. Since the stomach cues the brain to feel hungry, patients who have had bariatric surgery tend to eat less and feel hungry less often. This can help patients lose weight and feel healthier.
The team at NDH includes board-certified bariatric surgeons, bariatric nurses, nutritionists and physical therapists who collaborate to provide coordinated, safe and seamless care. Team members will keep you informed every step of the way, from pre-surgery claim processing to day-of-surgery expectations and post-surgery nutrition and exercise guidance. The team is dedicated to your overall health and well-being.
Why Choose Us?
- Northern Dutchess Hospital offers an integrated bariatric surgery program led by HQMP weight loss surgeon Brian Binetti, MD, in a new, state-of-the-art hospital setting in the picturesque Village of Rhinebeck. Dr. Binetti and his team of physician assistants, nurses, exercise specialists and nutritionists work together to help you achieve success on your wellness journey.
- Northern Dutchess Hospital offers modern, spacious and private rooms with specialized bariatric equipment as well as advanced surgical suites equipped with minimally invasive technology.
- Bariatric, or weight loss, surgery has been shown to reduce complications associated with obesity. These include high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and sleep apnea.
- Brian Binetti, MD has performed more than 700 bariatric surgeries in his career.
Is Bariatric Surgery Right For You?
You may qualify for weight loss surgery if:
- You have previously tried other methods without success.
- You are at least 100 pounds overweight.
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher OR a body mass index (BMI) of 35, accompanied by other serious health issues related to obesity such as diabetes, sleep apnea or hypertension.
- You have a willingness to make necessary, post-surgery lifestyle changes to achieve long-term success.
If your obesity has caused chronic health issues such as diabetes, heart disease, sleep issues, high blood pressure or high cholesterol, you may be an excellent candidate for weight loss surgery.
BODY MASS INDEX CALCULATOR
Treatment and Technology
The most common types of bariatric surgery are sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass and adjustable gastric banding (lap band). Each surgical procedure is minimally invasive, using advanced laparoscopic techniques that require only small incisions. This frequently results in less pain and a quicker recovery. At NDH, you have access to a range of surgical options. Together, you and your doctor will decide the best approach for you.
- Adjustable gastric band (Lap-Band) – this procedure involves a small band that is wrapped around the upper stomach. This band can be adjusted as necessary by your doctor to alter the amount of food the stomach can hold.
- Gastric sleeve surgery – reduces the size and shape of the stomach from its normal football size to roughly the size and shape of a banana, reducing the amount of food patients need in order to feel full.
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass – a procedure that creates a small stomach pouch and allows food to bypass a portion of the small intestine, decreasing calorie absorption.
How To Get Started
Your journey to wellness starts today. We’ll be with you every step of the way to support you on your weight loss journey.
- Watch the online seminar. The educational seminar can be completed in the comfort of your home at a time convenient for you. A bariatric team member will contact you within five business days. Please set aside one hour to watch the entire seminar.
- OR attend an in-person seminar if you prefer. View the 2018 support group schedule.
- Schedule a consultation with a bariatric surgeon on the medical staff of Northern Dutchess Hospital.
What to Expect
When you choose Northern Dutchess Hospital for bariatric surgery, you can expect a warm and compassionate care team to partner with you on your weight loss journey. This multidisciplinary team is led by Brian Binetti, MD, and includes a bariatric nurse coordinator who will guide you on your journey.
Once you have selected and consulted with a surgeon, together you will determine if you are a candidate for surgery and what lab tests you may need. Your surgeon may also recommend that you visit with other specialists prior to surgery. You’ll also:
- Have a nutrition evaluation and counseling with one of our dietitians.
- Undergo a psychological evaluation to make sure there are no underlying eating disorders or other issues that would prevent you from succeeding after surgery.
- Attend support group sessions.
- Complete pre-op testing.
When it comes to recovery and support, our program offers resources to help you achieve success. After surgery, patients receive comprehensive follow-up support including monitoring of weight loss progress and vitamin levels. Our weight loss support also includes:
- Support groups to share personal experiences.
- The Building Wellness fitness program, which includes time with a personal trainer and full access to Northern Dutchess Hospital’s Wellness Center.
- Medically supervised nutrition counseling for overweight and obese patients.
- 6511 Springbrook Avenue
- Rhinebeck, NY 12572
- (845) 876-3001 (TTY 1-800-421-1220)