Advanced 3D mammography for detection of breast cancer has many benefits. It enables your doctors to detect breast cancer earlier and can help avoid unnecessary callbacks. In the breast imaging centers at Vassar Brothers Medical Center, Putnam Hospital Center, Northern Dutchess Hospital and Sharon Hospital, you have access to state-of-the art 3D imaging technology that produces higher resolution and better views of the breast—all achieved in a pleasant, private setting, close to home.
3D mammography is the most accurate breast cancer screening technology available that can detect smaller breast cancers earlier, when they are most treatable. The system allows doctors to examine your breast tissue layer by layer, rather than viewing all of the complexities of your tissue in a flat image, a great step forward from conventional 2D mammography. With 3D mammography, fine details are more visible and no longer hidden by the tissue above or below.
All breast imaging services are provided by highly-trained medical professionals in an atmosphere of compassion and comfort. Images are interpreted by board-certified radiologists on the medical staff of Health Quest’s four hospitals. If you have ever wondered and waited too long for mammography results, we are pleased to offer the greatest benefit of all, peace of mind.
Why Choose Us?
3D mammography offers these advances compared with 2D technology:
- Significant increase in breast cancer detection, available close to home
- Increased accuracy in breast cancer detection in women of all ages, regardless of breast tissue density
- Detection of 41 percent more invasive breast cancers
- Detection of breast cancers up to 15 months earlier
- Greater accuracy results in 40 percent fewer call backs, fewer “false positives”
The breast imaging center at Vassar Brothers Medical Center and Putnam Hospital Center (PHC) are recognized by the following organizations for excellence:
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers through the American College of Surgeons
- Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology
- PHC also follows the National Comprehensive Cancer Network guidelines, which are informed by evidence-based best practices
Treatments and Technology
In addition to 3D mammography, our advanced breast imaging services include:
- Screening and diagnostic mammogram with computer-aided diagnosis (CAD)
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast MRI
- Stereotactic biopsy
- Seed localization for breast surgery procedures
Additional advanced breast imaging services offered at Vassar Brothers Medical Center include:
- Digital mammography, with its exceptional clarity and accuracy, can detect breast tumors earlier, allowing for treatment to begin sooner.
- Stereotactic breast biopsy, a minimally invasive biopsy method that uses specialized mammography equipment to guide radiologists to a precise biopsy location, minimize scarring and reduce recovery time. Genetic screening for patients with cancer or a family history of breast or ovarian cancer to test for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes and assess risk. To learn more about these services, see Genetic Counseling.
You will need a physician’s order to schedule breast imaging. Call your primary care physician or women’s health provider to request a prescription. If you do not have a physician, call HQMP Connect at (888) 525-HQMP (4767).